Located in Collin and Denton counties in the state of Texas, the city of Frisco has to its credits one of the highest growth rates in United States. In the late 1990s, the northern Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex Suburban development tide hit the northern border of Plano and spilled into Frisco, sparking explosive growth into the 2000s. Fast forward into 2009 and the city was regarded as the fastest growing city in the United States during the period of 2000-2009. According to the census conducted in 2000 Frisco’s total population was 33,714 and within a decade the population has become three times as much. The city was named in honor of the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway, which had given birth to the initial community that grew into the bustling city that it is today.
The city boasts of a population of 107,050 as off January 1, 2010, out of which 1/3 of the population is younger than 18. In 2009, 94% of the people were high school graduates and the percentage of people with bachelor’s degree or higher was 57%. The residents of the city are spread over two counties with 36% of them being in Denton and the rest 64% in the Collin County.
Apart from having the of tag being one of the fastest growing cities in United States, Frisco is also home to the largest, private collection of contemporary sculpture art — the Texas Sculpture Garden. It is a must visit for people who are interested in a visual feast of a marvelous collection of indoor and outdoor art.
The Dr Pepper Ballpark and Pizza Hut Park are some of the premium concert venues, which boast of names such as George Strait and Jimmy Buffett. The Dr Pepper Ballpark is a 10,600-seat baseball stadium, which hosted its first baseball game on April 3, 2003. BaseballParks.com declared it as the best new ballpark that year. And it went on to receive the 2003 Texas Construction award for Best Architectural Design. Pizza Hut Park, opened August 6, 2005, is a 20,500-seat stadium. It is primarily used as a soccer stadium by FC Dallas, but also host’s football games and concerts. The Dr Pepper Arena is a multi-purpose venue where both hockey and basketball is showcased.
Since 2003, Frisco has received the designation of “Tree City USA” by the National Arbor Day Foundation. In 2007, Frisco received the National Arbor Day Foundation Growth Award for the third year in a row. This award recognizes environmental improvement and encourages a higher level of tree care and tree preservation within the community. The Frisco Parks & Recreation Department are two times winner of the of Texas Recreation & Parks Society (TRAPS) Gold Medal Award for Excellence in Parks and Recreation Management — in 2007 and 2010.
It is the City of Frisco Parks and Recreation Department’s mission “to plan for and provide quality parks, facilities, and services which result in social, environmental, and economic benefits for individuals, families, and the community.”
So when you come to Frisco, there’s always something new to see and enjoy.
Frisco is located 20 minutes north of downtown Dallas, and 25 minutes from both Dallas Fort Worth International Airport and Love Field. Explore all there is to see and do in Frisco Texas. There are a lot of Things to do Near Dallas.